Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Full Throttle - Motorcycles at Shelburne Museum

Shelburne Museum FINALLY opened for the season this last Sunday, and the NorthernBabyBunch headed down to check out the exhibit we've been waiting to see: FULL THROTTLE! (It was also the day for their Lilac Festival, but...ummmm...who cares?!)
As you enter the big, round, red barn that serves as the visitors' center, this is the first motorcycle you see: a Jesse James custom built for Airstream. It's got the bare aluminum finish and rows upon rows of rivets - just like their trailers.Next up is an old BSA with an enclosed bullet sidecar...quite a bit of "character" to this rig.
(I bet if I could find something like this, Cari would let me ride Levi around in it!!)

I've suddenly blanked on the make and model of this one, but it's a fully-enclosed three-wheeler. Kinda cool, but that is a whole lot of vinyl wrapping around that thing!


Goldammer. One-of-a-kind custom based on the old boardtrack racers. This thing is super cool: perimeter disc brakes, HUGE engine stuffed in the frame, and even though it looks like a hardtail, it's got a rear suspension - the pivot is below the engine, and the top of the rear triangle slips inside the top tube (just under the seat). I've read magazine articles about this bike, and it's so cool to see it in person!



Going for the trick camera angles...catch the reflection in the mirror!




Self portrait. This is what I did all the way through three levels of exhibits - snap photos. I'm only posting a few of the pictures here - there's just too many of them. Somewhere around this bike, Cari came back inside and insisted I let her have the camera to go take a picture of Levi on the carousel. She got the camera, but I stayed in the same spot until she brought it back and I could take more motorcycle pictures!





THE jaw-dropper for me. Built by Roland Sands Designs, it takes board tracker design elements and pairs it with a Honda V5 race engine. (An engine from one of Kenny Roberts GP race bikes - aww...go look it up if you don't know who KR is...!) I've read several magazine articles about this bike, and a photo of it served as my screen saver at work for a few months - I am mesmerized by this thing - and to come around a corner and see it in person - well, I was so surprised and awed that I almost peed myself. (I said ALMOST!)I'm definitely making a return visit to see this bike again!
Maybe they'll stretch the rope so I can get a little closer look at it!






Some of the bikes were unusual...


Some were horribly ugly...



While the men were in the barn investigating the bike displays, Northern Baby had been whisked outside to ride on the carousel....I'm not sure how his first ride went, but when we got out there, he was sprawled on the grass, staring at the clouds, saying, "I feel the need...the need for speed!"





A beautiful example of a Bultaco. Too bad they stopped making them many years ago - I want one for exploring gravel roads.


Every time we go to the Museum, I take a picture of this. Every time, it fails to capture how neat of a view this is.

Choo-Choo!



Levi eating his hamburger. I think he's just so adorable in this picture. (Maybe that's because he was eating from Mommy's hamburger instead of mine!)



This cute little kid will kill for french fries....




Northern Mommy and Baby waited below as we toured the grand steamship Ticonderoga.
Ever the giving child, Levi is offering us a dandelion (or giving us the finger - it's hard to tell from this picture).




No, I don't know what that is; but yes, it sure was funny when Northern Baby fell on his head while climbing all over it!

Now, at the beginning of this post, I mentioned that it was the museum's opening day and the Full Throttle display was a huge draw, but I also mentioned that it was the annual Lilac Festival. Now, I'm not really into flowers (I'm kind of a Mow It/Don't Mow It? type of gardener), so I can admit that I am thirty-four years old and only two days ago did I learn what a lilac looks like. That's okay - I like learning new things, and lilacs are kind of pretty...and....ummm.....purple?!
We walked all over the museum grounds and saw all types of things and took pictures of motorcycles and barns and old tools and stuff, but did I manage to take a single photograph of a lilac? Seriously, it was a Lilac Festival, surely I got at least ONE pic of a lilac....Well, I did get a photo of a lilac - and it's just below here:




That's right - the only picture I got of a lilac was of the little baby one that Levi brought home.
It's all about the motorcycles - not the flowers!




3 comments:

The Virginia Jeeper said...

LOVE the BSA with the rocket pod. The sidecar is on the wrong side - silly Britains...
I think you should find a late '70s Honda dirtbike to restore as a project with Levi - the same look as the Bultaco without the expense!

Looks to have been a great trip. BTW, why did they use up display space for lilacs when they could have shown off more bikes?!

The Virginia Jeeper said...

I just showed Jack the pictures...he likes the purple motorcycle...I have soooo much work to do telling him about style, class, and workmanship!

granny in the garden said...

Lilacs also come in white as well as a whole range of lavendar to purple - plus they smell great!

Isn't this blog supposed to be about Northern Baby and not a motorcycle ad?